Monday, April 19, 2010

I love Kentucky!


Yesterday evening I returned from my annual visit to the great state of Kentucky. My Uncle Tim and I have such a pleasant time together each year, we have decided to make it a spring tradition while I'm in school. I looked forward to this trip very much, especially because we had planned on traveling west to Louisville, the cite of the Kentucky Derby. I love watching that race each (the fastest 5 minutes in sports!) and was thrilled to be going to see Churchill Downs, and don't forget the visit to a derby millinery! Churchill Downs was positively gigantic, the track spanning over a mile. I was surprised to discover the location was literally just a few miles outside the city! After a trip to C.D. we went to Dee's a delightful little hat shop, that suits all your derby needs! Of course I would consider it a crime to leave Louisville without getting an official derby ensemble, and Uncle Tim was kind enough to get me a lovely white bespoke, complete with hot pink ribbon and satin floral decor. Can't wait to wear it with my Lilly Patchtastic Franco dress! An additionally thrilling memory of Louisville were the fireworks. Without knowing it, we happened to plan our first trip to the city during their busiest time of the year. This past weekend was "Thunder Over Louisville" the country's largest firework display shot off from the Ohio River. The fireworks were breathtaking, with shimmering whites followed by vivid greens, reds and blues. I was really impressed with the general feel of the city as well, I felt like I was walking through a quaint Southern village flecked with French charm. I highly recommend a visit to Kentucky, you'll truly get more than you bargained for!

No comments:

Post a Comment