Sunday, February 26, 2012

Oh, Paris!


Well, Oscar night 2012 has just concluded and I find myself wildly disappointed that my favorite movie of the year Midnight in Paris, didn't win best picture. That being said, I'd like to pay tribute to that wonderful city I someday dream of seeing. Paris is known as the world's most romantic city and a place I've been dying to visit since I was a little girl. There's just something wonderful about that tower glittering at night over the river Seine that makes the place feel magical. (That, and of course those lovely little local shops, oh what were their names? Chanel? Dior? Louis Vuitton? Yes, I believe those are the ones.) Maybe it's the city's old world charm that has passerby envision Monet painting water lilies across a blank canvas, or the beautiful midday songs played by Notre Dame's famous bell tower that makes a person realize how truly enchanting le capital is. As l'arc de triumphe stands proudly above le Champ de Elysees, one can't help but be awestruck of the grandeur and prestige Paris offers. A city rich in history, mixed with architecture so incredibly artistic it brings to life the grand events of the generations that came before. I can't imagine what it would be like to stroll past Moulin Rouge, explore Le Musee D'Orsay and Le Louvre, or spend a night in the Ritz hotel. Owen Wilson's character Gil Bender in Midnight in Paris literally loses himself in the city, imagining himself among the lost generation of the literary greats such as Gertrude Stein, Ernest Hemingway, and F. Scott Fitzgerald (my personal favorite) who embraced Paris for all it was worth in the 1920's. I suppose the primary reason why I loved the film so much was because I could see myself doing the same thing! How wonderful to drink, dance and delight under the city of lights. One day, rest assured, I will travel to Paris and fulfill this longtime dream. One day, I think I might just fall in love avec Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment